Refine your search




Route Essentials

Enter a place on the route

Or Route Name


Village:Henlow Village

Towns and Villages

Parish Paths in Henlow

Parish Paths in Henlow


The name Henlow is believed to derive from the old English ‘henna hlaw’, ‘hill frequented by wild birds' and was mentioned in the Domesday survey of 1086, when the village came under the possession of 3 separate manors: Henlow Warden, Henlow Llanthony and Henlow De Grey. This accounts for the abundance of Manor Farms in the village. There was a moated manor house on the ‘island' of land which runs about 40 yards to the North of the High Street behind the War memorial along to the rear of Manor Farm at 87 High Street, which formed part of the De Grey manorial system. Henlow Grange, the earliest parts of which date from 1680, was built on land that formed the heart of the Henlow Llanthony estates.

The Parish church is dedicated to St Mary the Virgin. The church is in a beautiful setting on a rise above the Pit with the village pump in the foreground and a horse trough built to commemorate Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee. The current church building has a tower and North aisle constructed of clunch and the remainder is of ironstone. The North arcade dates to the 13th century, the Eastern bays are early 14th century and the entire is mainly in the perpendicular style, although the later Victorian Chapel incorporates a Norman window from the original aisle-less church. The church has Registers dating from 1558. Although the tower now contains a ring of 8 bells, enhanced from 6 in the 1980's, prior to 1925 there was a ring of 5 bells, wherein the origin of the name of the local Public House.


  • Picnic sitePicnic site
  • PostboxPostbox