Whipsnade is probably best known as the home of the internationally famous Whipsnade Wild Animal Park. In 1931 the London Zoological Society chose Whipsnade as the country home for the animals to give them more space. On the Downs, within the perimeter of the Park, a great white lion, the emblem of the Zoological Society, has been carved in the chalk and this can be seen for miles around.
The village itself has a large green with attractive timber-framed houses and a church of mellow old brick. A footpath leads northwards from the green to the 'Tree Cathedral' - trees planted in the form of a ground plan of a cathedral - now in the care of the National Trust.