Bedford Park Wood Walk


Introduction

This 2 mile walk links Bedford Park with open countryside.


How To Get There by Passenger Transport
BY BUS Bedford Park can be reached by bus from Bedford Bus Station. Telephone Bedfordshire Bus Information Line : 01234 228337, 8.30am 5pm open 5 days a week or Travel Line 0870 6082608.
BY TRAIN Bedford station, on the Bedford to London Thameslink line, is approximately a mile from Bedford Park. For timetable information, please telephone National Rail Enquiries 08457 484950
Click here for the National Rail Enquiries website


How to Get There by Car
Park Avenue is off the B660 Kimbolton road. There is plenty of on street parking.


Start/Finish Point
Start at Robinson Swimming Pool on the corner of Park Avenue and Foster Hill Road in Bedford.


Access and General Information
Distance: 2 miles
Time: approx. 1 hour
Access Information: Pending update


Bedford Park to Park Wood Local Nature Reserve
From Robinson Pool (A), walk through the park to the exit at the corner of the cemetery (B). Follow the path up a steep hill and then take a right turn at the top (C). Pass between some houses, coming out onto Brickhill Drive.

Cross the road and follow the path around the allotments. Turn right at the corner of the allotments (D) and carry straight on until a stile is reached (E). Do not cross the stile. Instead turn right into the nature reserve and follow the trail around.

Rejoin the path previously followed (F) and turn left. Retrace the path to (D), and then carry straight on to Brickhill Drive (G). Cross the road and continue following the path past some new houses. Go down the hill past the cemetery and re-enter Bedford Park at the bottom (H). Walk back through the park to Robinson Pool (A).


Points of Interest
Bedford Park
The land, originally part of the De Parys estate, was acquired by Bedford Corporation for the provision of a public park which was developed at a cost of about 7 000 and opened in 1888 by the Marquis of Tavistock. The bandstand and the cricket pavilion were added a few years later. It is little changed since Victorian times and contains many unusual trees. (Trail guide available).

Bedford Cemetery
Opened in 1855 on Foster Hill because existing burial grounds had become overcrowded. Some of the more interesting tombs are those of James Wyatt, Borough Treasurer, founder of the Bedfordshire Times and antiquarian and his family, grouped in an enclosure and recently restored.

Clapham Park House
Built in 1872 by Bedford architect John Usher on the site of an old Elizabethan manor house, owned formerly by the Earls of Ashburnham, for James Howard the founder of the Britannia Iron Works. He ran a model farm here and demonstrated his early steam ploughs on it. The house was taken over by the American Air Force during the Second World War and then became a rehabilitation centre for Manor Hospital after the war. It was bought by a French order of nuns, The Daughters of the Holy Cross in 1958. They built a beautiful modern octagonal chapel but left in 1987.